Archive for April 25, 2014
The con was everything I thought it would be and more. It was a blast walking around and seeing everyone's costumes. The Artist Alley had so many talented artists it was amazing. I even got to visit with my friend Dee Schiller for a few minutes, so that was neat. I wouldn't have even known the con existed if it wasn't for her.
I got my steampunk seamstress costume finished the night before I left – I seem to work well under pressure. Had a few people stop me at the con to take my photo so that was pretty cool. And here I am, the proprietor of Lady Judith's Sewing Emporium.
Later this month I am going to WonderCon, a pop-culture convention, kind of a junior Comic Con. I have wanted a steampunk outfit for a very, very long time so this gave me a perfect excuse to make one. I decided my character was going to be a steampunk seamstress who works out of Lady Judith's Sewing Emporium. As it is always handy to have your tools close at hand, I decided to make a bracer. I gathered up some appropriate 'stuff', like bobbins, scissors, thread, and a needle holder and then I laid them out on some batting so see how it worked and if it would fit my arm. I actually have a historical pattern from Butterick that had a good base pattern to use. Saved me trying to draft one.
Steampunk has to have gears and gauges, but they have to make sense to me. I don't believe in putting on random gears just for looks. It has to have some sort of function. So my wonderful husband helped me build a Bobbin Fill indicator. Soldering a bottle cap to a brass tube was not easy. Glad I did not have to do this on my own. He also taught me how to cut and form the leather. I could not have done this without him! When I went to the store to buy the leather dye, I found a great pair of scissors, so my stork embroidery scissors got changed out with these. Much happier with them. This is the leather layout.
And here it is completed. My friend Judy Skeel gave me a great hint from her son who is a leather worker. She said to use sandpaper to age it. My husband didn't think that was a good idea so I waited until he went to bed and then I got out the sandpaper. I got the idea to use the acorn nuts from my Steampunk Gears, Gadgets and Gizmos book. I lined it with some orange fleece and it fits perfectly now. I love how this came out!