I sure hope this works! I took the legs from a porcelain doll and filled them with steel shot - then I took tin foil and squished it into a leg extension shape and covered it with apoxie sculpt. I'll find out in the morning if it works. If it seems strong enough I will do the other leg. I also completely redid the colors of the clock box - you can't really see it in the background - but I really enjoyed doing it and I'll probably be adding more to it.
I received these absolutely luscious beaded book thongs in a bookmark swap over at Swap-bot. I'm afraid every time I say book thong a different picture runs through my head LOL. There's some great charms on these! Click the image to really see them.
These are my results from messing around with the stencils I had cut when I etched the jar. I think it looks better when the stencil is inked over rather than through. You could make some cool candle holders this way - with personal messages or something.
Brought home a new dog last night - another miniature American Eskimo - she is 6 months old. I wonder if she will love ribbons and fabric as much as my other Eskie did when he was little. We will see ... meet Candy Cane ... who just had a welcome home bath, LOL.
I went to a friend's house yesterday for an art day - we started working on art aprons using the instructions in Cloth Paper Scissors. This started out as bib overalls but the back of the overalls is now sewn to the front to create more pockets. I wanted to preserve the front top pocket so I put the back a bit lower than it should have been. Now the back pockets are down by my knees, LOL. I will have to do a bit more redesigning before I start painting it. I put the black and white border on it but that's it. It was a fun day - I need more play dates!
I wanted to share a mermaid made by Kat Tyni from my mermaid pattern, Ruby of the Sea. Isn't she just the most gorgeous thing? She changed the arms and sculpted her fingers. I should add the arm pattern from my Northern Mermaid pattern to the Ruby pattern, she has separate fingers. I get a real thrill seeing what people make from my patterns! Thanks, Kat!
Plushie fever has passed and I have been wondering if I wasted my money when I bought the die cut machine to use to make eyes. NOPE! I found another use for it - to decorate jars. I have no idea where this idea came from because I haven't etched glass in YEARS - probably 10 years. But I got out the contact paper and made 3 stencils using my new Flourish die (from Revolution). If you've never etched glass - it is soooo simple ...
Had to show you this photo - it's a collage that will be taught at Doll Street next month by Linda Misa of Australia. I just LOVE her work! I already bought my canvases so I can give this a whirl. It should be a lot of fun.
I made my first Kiva loan today! Kiva allows people like us to make small (think - $25) loans to people in developing nations so they can lift themselves out of poverty through business. I lent money to a woman in Peru who wants to buy embroidery thread and cloth. The money is actually managed through third parties and although there is risk you may eventually get your money back (so you can lend it to someone else!) I read about it through Lisa Vollrath's blog - she is a lender too. Go make a loan today! It will make you feel good!
Being proficient with a sewing machine can come in handy - made myself a knitting needle roll yesterday. Had to redo the top binding because it didn't leave enough room for the flap to cover the long needles - this is the before picture. It works much better now. Found a pattern on the net and then modified it. Then I decided to play with clay and I covered these knitting needles. I put the needles in an oven bag before I put them in to cook - when I made the first set yesterday the fumes from the clay and the needles were horrible - and that was in a bag too - just not sealed shut. So today I sealed it with wire. Way better. No fumes. I was worried that the bamboo would warp but I guess the temperature is low enough because they were fine. You can't see it but I stamped the size of each needle on it's top - the green ones have a red center - looks like an olive gone bad, LOL. Too bad I can't sculpt - I could imagine some very cool things to put on the knobs! Ah well. These were fun anyway.
I actually made the time to write this - and before I wrote that online class on altered CDs and domino art too! Free stuff before paid stuff - what am I thinking? LOL. Anyhow - there's 3 pages and you can print it out and link to it. Just no copying it. Have fun and send me photos if you make any.
You'll learn to make packing tape transfers in this tutorial. These bookmarks will make great gifts so make lots!
I have no idea why I did this - but I signed up with Twitter - it's kind of like microblogging - I don't know how much I'll use it but we'll see. If you twitter you can follow me under JudiW. Add me and I'll add you back.
I've been working on a whole bunch of bookmarks for a swap I'm doing - I needed to make 9 of them. I came up with three designs and I'm repeating them. That's pretty unusual for me; I don't normally work in series (unless it's mermaids, ha ha). Anyhow - the main images are made with packing tape transfers and I enclosed the whole thing in laminate (which I sewed on). I have taken enough photos to write a tutorial for these, so if anyone is interested in me doing that please leave a comment. I"m off to water aerobics now and then to the coffee house for a 'stitch'n'bitch' with some Fairbanks knitters I met through ravelry.com.