Thought I’d share a photo of Olwyn’s version of my Stump Sister pattern. This is a Flamenco Dancer that she made for her friend Liz’s 60th birthday! What a great present – I think this doll is just so, so pretty! Great job, Olywn!
I thought it would be fun for Halloween to put my Severed Hand Pincushion Pattern up for sale for 50% off .. so it’s just $3.00 right now … it’s a fun little pattern that teaches you to make the hand, dye the hand bruised and bloody, and make the glove. You can use it for a pincushion or do what I do – put it in odd spots as a Halloween decoration. People do tend to notice these!
The hand below was made using cotton fabric – the pattern calls for wool felt but you can make it in just about anything. I have this hand on my desk at work right now.
I switched gears and did a quick collage on a cheap little Mary Engelbreit journal from Michaels. Something similar to this:
I need it for a Flat Stanley round robin we’re going to do over at Doll Street. I did one of those in 2005 and it was a lot of fun, although it took nearly two years to get the doll back home. Anyhow, I took a couple of in progress pics. Here’s the first one which shows the basic collage. Someone gave me some great paper lace a while ago, I might have to look for more!
Here is the journal with a little more altering, I drybrushed some brown paint on it to ‘age’ it, plus I added the little girl as a focal point. It really grunges it up.
Last thing I did was drybrush some gold-green paint here and there and around the girl to bring her forward. Remember that dark colors push things back and light ones bring them forward. I think it’s done now but we’ll see how I feel after it’s sat around for a week or so.
I am working on another doll from the DDD class with Michael deMeng, this one is called Prickly Polly. This is a Madame Alexander doll that I found at a garage sale for $1. She’s pretty big, 18″ or so. It will make it easy to find patterns to use as a base for her clothing. I think there’s something wrong with her legs as she doesn’t stand properly. The doll has a seam down the middle of the fabric body so I might open her up and see what’s what. I had an awful lot of fun melting her hair with a heat gun, it virtually disappears. I’m having fun with this, I really do enjoy destroying things.
I don’t think I mentioned it but earlier this summer I signed up for an online Michael DeMeng class called Demented, Disturbed, and Disintegrating Dolly Heads. I had to collect a bunch of old dolls for this class so went to some garage sales. Ended up with a dozen or so dollies.
I have been watching the videos and I decided that his ‘Salvador Dolly’ would be my first attempt at his style. It is so much fun to play around like this. I have no idea what I’ll do with this as I have never really tried my hand at assemblage but we’ll see. Here’s the before, in progress, and finished picture of my first demented dolly head.
Pretty darn cool, eh?
It’s been a long time since I’ve released a new pattern. I was so inspired by what I learned at AFIC that I thought you’d like to learn too! This is my version of a painted folk art doll. As usual my patterns are pretty much written for beginners. There are lots of photos and illustrations to help you make your own folk doll. I have step-by-step photos of how to paint both faces. They don’t take long to make and they would make great gifts!
I am going to offer this at a low introductory price for a couple of weeks so get your copy soon!
PDF pattern is only $3.50 US via PayPal. I will email you the pattern once I receive the notification of payment from PayPal.
I had started this doll so long ago that I don’t even remember how old she is! She just needed hair and clothes. I had tried making her a fancy blouse but I still can’t make clothes, sigh. I thought I was taking a class in making clothes when I went to the doll conference but it ended up being how to resize existing doll clothing patterns. It was interesting but didn’t help me any. So since she had a colored body I let that be her top (think that was my original intent). As usual, I went a bit overboard with the yarn hair, it’s very thick but I like it. This is an original design although I have no idea where her pattern ended up either. Poor thing. At least she’s finished though!
At any rate, I’m sure you noticed my blog looks different. I have, after 9 years, moved off of my brother’s server and am now using WordPress on Hostgator. I thank my brother (askdavetaylor.com) for taking care of my blog all this time. But it’s a new era and now I have complete control of my blog. I was never able to update any of the sidebars myself so this is pretty neat. What you will notice in the near future is that things may not work (like comments) or pictures will look strange as I teach myself how to use WordPress and learn about how to change themes using CSS. So please bear with me!
In the meantime, here’s a picture of me and my friend Kat posing for photos after playing bocce ball in the Alaska Senior Games. I’m the short one with dark hair in the middle (with the Gold Medal – no, not the flour). It was a lot of fun!